Pages

Monday, November 4, 2013

The title of this lil blog

I've been meaning for a while to write a blog post on why the title for this blog is "You are my sunshine." Obviously you all know the song. So really this is going to take two seconds to explain. My mom always sang that song to us when we were babies. But I always felt extra special and possessive of the song, because she called me her sunshine. As a small child, I had this bright sunny personality (as she describes it) and to this day, she will still sometimes start a letter to me with "Dear Sunshine" or in a birthday card write a message that says, "you are still my sunshine!" Guess I'm still bright and sunny :)

Anyway, since having my own babies, I now sing the song to them. It's one of Hailey's favorites and she requests it every night at bedtime.

I don't really like or understand all the lyrics, I mean some of it is pretty depressing....

You are my sunshine, my only sunshine,
You made me happy when skies are grey,
You'll never know dear, how much I love you,
Please don't take my sunshine away.

The other night dear, as I lay sleeping,
I dreamt I held you in my arms,
But when I awoke dear, I was mistaken,
So I hung my head, and cried.

That is so sad!!!! What happened in this scene?!!? So I don't sing the second verse.

But there you have it. The reason behind the name of the blog. My children are such bright rays of sunshine in my life, daily. They make me smile and remind me to stop and enjoy the simple things. Since this blog is mostly about them, it seemed like the best title.


Gift from my mom for my birthday a few years ago.





1 comment:

  1. The meaning behind the original *is* depressing, but I've always loved singing (the first verse) to my Antonia, and now my Colette. I love that your mama still uses your nickname :).

    ReplyDelete