Pages

Tuesday, March 25, 2014

St. Joseph's Feast Day

Luke and I love St. Joseph and we have been praying and asking his intercession a lot lately, so needless to say, I wanted to celebrate his feast day in a special way. However, with all our allergy restrictions, I had no idea what this was going to look like. But I was determined.

Behold.....


Chocolate Brownie Mug Cake (gluten free, vegan)

Ingredients

  • 1/2 cup GF flour
  • 1/2 cup beet or palm sugar*
  • 4 Tbsp cocoa (natural, unsweetened)
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1/2 cup coconut milk*
  • 4 Tbsp canola oil
  • whipped coconut cream to serve (optional)

Instructions

  1. Place flour, sugar, cocoa, salt, coconut milk and oil in the jar of a blender and puree until the mixture is smooth and there are no lumps.
  2. Divide the batter between two microwave safe ceramic mugs.
  3. Place in microwave and heat on high until the mixture is cooked through, about a 1 minute and 40 seconds to 2 minutes for a 1000 watt microwave. It should still be moist when cooked through, not dry.
  4. Let cool for a minute and serve with coconut whipped cream or sorbet.
Preparation time: 5 minute(s)
Cooking time: 2 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 2

*I used regular white sugar since that was what I had, and I used almond milk, since again, that's what I had.

Here is the link if you wish to save this small gem (Mug Cake). It was easy, brilliant and oh so good. I also whipped up this frosting to put on top. I only make half the recipe and I omitted the strawberry preserves and added cocoa powder instead to make it chocolate frosting. I was have an intense chocolate craving that day, can't you tell? I've made it with the strawberry jam before though, and that's great too.

I am so thankful for St. Joseph. And for fruitful frantic internet searches entailing - gluten, dairy, egg, nut, and soy free chocolate desserts - that lead you to discover mug cake. 

No comments:

Post a Comment